The following is a list of documents and other useful references related to the various workshops Humphreys & Associates (H&A) conducts. All items are available on the noted web site or on the H&A web site.
Revision May 9, 2013.
ANSI/EIA 748-C Standard for Earned Value Management Systems
This document is copyrighted and may not be reproduced without permission. A copy of the standard may be purchased from Tech America (www. techamerica.org). Purchase a single copy for personal use ($65.00) or a site license. 
Data Item Descriptions (DID)
The following is a list of the current EVM related Department of Defense (DoD) DIDs and related forms. These items are available on the http://www.everyspec.com web site and/or the ASSIST database (https://assist.dla.mil/online/start/).
- DI-MGMT-81861 – Integrated Program Management Report (IPMR), June 2012. Supersedes DI-MGMT-81466A (CPR) and DI-MGMT-81650 (IMS).
- DI-MGMT-81466A – Contract Performance Report (CPR), March 2005, also DD Form 2734/1 to 5 (CPR Formats 1 to 5 as Excel forms) 
- DI-MGMT-81861 – Integrated Program Management Report (IPMR), June 2012 [020a]
- DI-MGMT-81468 – Contract Funds Status Report (CFSR), October 1995 
- DI-MGMT-81650 – Integrated Master Schedule (IMS), March 2005 
- DI-FNCL-81565C – Contractor Cost Data Reporting (CCDR) Cost Data Summary Report (DD Form 1921), May 2011 
- DI-FNCL-81566C – Contractor Cost Data Reporting (CCDR) Functional Cost-Hour Report (DD Form 1921-1), May 2011 
- DI-FNCL-81567C – Contractor Cost Data Reporting (CCDR) Progress Curve Report (DD Form 1921-2), May 2011 
- DI-FNCL-81765B – Contractor Cost Data Reporting (CCDR) Contractor Business Data Report (DD Form 1921-3), May 2011 
- DI-MGMT-81739B – Software Resources Data Reporting (SRDR), Initial Developer Report and Data Dictionary, May 2011 
- DI-MGMT-81740A – Software Resources Data Reporting (SRDR) Final Developer Report and Data Dictionary, May 2011 
- DI-MGMT-81334D – Contact Work Breakdown Structure (WBS), May 2011 
Defense Contract Management Agency (DCMA)
The DCMA Instructions web site (http://guidebook.dcma.mil/) is a source for DCMA manuals and other policy documents. Select “E” to view the list of items related to EVM. Two useful topics include “Earned Value Management System Compliance Review”  and “Earned Value Management System (EVMS) – Standard Surveillance Instruction (SSI)”  which have a number of links embedded in the text. Documents available here include:
- Department of Defense Earned Value Management Implementation Guide (EVMIG), October 2006 
- DCMA EVMS Cross Reference Checklist, March 2011 
- Guideline Compliance Summary Worksheets (EV Templates 1-32)
- Program Priority Selection Worksheet
Another topic listed under "E" is the "Earned Value Management System - Program Analysis Pamphlet (EA-PAM-200.1)". This July 2012 reference document (downloadable PDF file) is used by the DCMA EVMS specialists to generate EVM metrics, graphs, tables, and presentations supporting the creation of Program Assessment Reports (PARs).
Department of Defense (DoD)
For DoD related standards, instructions, and other acquisition related documents, these items are available on the http://www.everyspec.com web site. EVM related items include:
- MIL-STD-881C, Work Breakdown Structures for Defense Materiel Items, October 2011 
- DoD Instruction (DODI) 5000.02, Operation of the Defense Acquisition System, December 2008 
The Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Acquisition, Performance Assessments and Root Cause Analyses (PARCA), is responsible for EVM policy. See their web site at http://www.acq.osd.mil/evm/.
The Defense Cost and Resource Center (DCARC) is a useful resource for the Cost and Software Data Reporting (CSDR) as well as the OSD EVM Central Repository. The current CSDR DIDs as well as the DoD 5000.04-M-1, Cost and Software Data Reporting (CDSR) Manual, October 2011 can be found here: http://dcarc.cape.osd.mil. 
The DoD must also comply with the Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement (DFARS) (http://www.acq.osd.mil/dpap/dars/dfarspgi/current/index.html). DFARS Subparts specific to EVM include:
- DFARS Subpart 234.2 – Earned Value Management System (policy, solicitation provisions, and contract clause)
DFARS Subpart 242.70 – Contractor Business Systems
- Subpart 242.7000, Contractor Business System Deficiencies
- Subpart 242.7001, Contract Clause
DFARS Subpart 252 – Solicitation Provisions and Contract Clauses
- Subpart 252.234-7001, Notice of Earned Value Management System 
- Subpart 252.234-7002, Earned Value Management System (contract clause) 
- Subpart 252.234-7003, Notice of Cost and Software Data Reporting System (CSDR)
- Subpart 252.234-7004, Cost and Software Data Reporting System (contract clause)
The Defense Acquisition University is another useful resource for DoD related items (https://acc.dau.mil/CommunityBrowser.aspx). The DoD IMP & IMS Preparation and Use Guide (October 2005) can be found here. 
Department of Energy (DoE)
The DOE Directives web site includes guides and policy documents. EVM items can be found in the Series 400 – Work Process topic. See https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives/current-directives/directives-current-400-series. Note “G” indicates a Guide, “O” indicates an Order. Current documents include:
- DOE G 413.3-10A, Earned Value Management System (EVMS), March 2012 
- DOE G 413.3-5A, U.S. Department of Energy Performance Baseline Guide, September 2011 
- DOE G 413.3-7A, Risk Management Guide, January 2011
- DOE O 413.3B, Program and Project Management for the Acquisition of Capital Assets, November 2010 
The DOE Office of Management web site includes additional project management and earned value management documents as well as related links. Under Operational Management, there is a main Project Management topic. From this web page, the Earned Value topic can be selected. The direct link to the Earned Value topic is: http://energy.gov/management/office-management/operational-management/project-management/earned-value-management. Current documents that can be found here include:
- EVMS Surveillance Standard Operating Procedure (ESSOP), September 2011
- EV Guideline Assessment Templates
- DOE EVMS Cross Reference Checklist
- DOE EVMS Risk Assessment Matrix
Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
The home page for the HHS is http://www.hhs.gov/. The HHS Parts specific to EVM are listed here. These regulations apply to all federal agencies.
- HHS Part 334 – Major System Acquisition
- HHS Subpart 334.2 – Earned Value Management System
Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
The home page for the DHS is http://www.dhs.gov/. The DHS Parts specific to EVM are listed here. These regulations apply to all federal agencies.
DHS Subchapter 3034.2 – Earned Value Management System
Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR)
The home page for the FAR is https://www.acquisition.gov/far/. The FAR Parts specific to EVM are listed here. These regulations apply to all federal agencies.
- FAR PART 34.2 – Earned Value Management System 
- FAR 52.234-2 – Notice of Earned Value Management System – Pre-Award IBR 
- FAR 52.234-3 – Notice of Earned Value Management System – Post Award IBR 
- FAR 52.234-4 – Earned Value Management System (contract clause) 
Government Accountability Office (GAO)
The GAO publications include:
- GAO Cost Estimating and Assessment Guide: Best Practices for Developing and Managing Capital Program Costs, March 2009 edition (publication reference GAO-093SP). Chapter 8 includes a discussion on work breakdown structures. Chapters 18 to 20 discuss earned value management systems.  
The guide can be found here: http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-09-3SP.
- GAO Schedule Assessment Guide: Best Practices for Project Schedules, May 2012 edition (publication reference GAO-12-120G).
The guide can be found here: http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-12-120G.
NDIA Program Management Systems Committee (PMSC)
The following documents are available on the NDIA PMSC web site (http://www.ndia.org/pmsc). Select “Committee Documents” at the top of the page to view the list of available documents.
- Earned Value Management Systems Intent Guide, May 2011 (ANSI-748-B) 
- Earned Value Management System Acceptance Guide, November 2006 
- Earned Value Management Systems Application Guide, May 2011 
- Integrated Baseline Review Guide, September 2010 
- Surveillance Guide, February 2011 
- Planning and Scheduling Excellence Guide (PASEG), Version 2.0, June 2012
- Federal Agency EVM Policy Summary – notes EVM application thresholds and includes web site links for agency policy and related documents
National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
Topics related to EVM can be found at this web site: http://evm.nasa.gov/. Note “NPD” indicates a NASA Policy Directive, “NPR” indicates a NASA Procedural Requirements document. Current documents available under the Regulations/Requirements topic include:
- NPD 7120.4D – Program/Project Management, March 2010 
- NPR 7120.5D – NASA Space Flight Program and Project Management Requirements 
- NPR 7120.7 – NASA Information Technology and Institutional Infrastructure Program and Project Management Requirements 
- NPR 7120.8 – NASA Research and Technology Program and Project Management Requirements 
- NASA FAR Supplements which include Part 1834: Major System Acquisition and Part 1852.234-1 Earned Value Management System (solicitation provision) and 1852.234-2 Earned Value Management System (contract clause).  
This web site also includes a set of NASA EVM Handbooks:
- Integrated Baseline Review (IBR) Handbook, December 2009
- Schedule Management Handbook, March 2011
- Work Breakdown Structure Handbook, January 2010 
- EVM Implementation Handbook, February 2012
Office of Management and Budget (OMB)
OMB Circular A-11, Part 7, Planning, Budgeting, Acquisition, and Management of Capital Assets, is frequently cited in reference to EVM requirements for federal agencies. The most current requirements can be found in the Supplement to Part 8 (Appendices), the Capital Programming Guide, Supplement to the Office of Management and Budget Circular A-11: Planning, Budgeting and Acquisition of Capital Assets, August 2011. The document can be found here: http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/circulars_a11_current_year_a11_toc.
The Capital Programming Guide directs the use of EVM in accordance with the ANSI-748 and the FAR EVM provisions for government agencies. The document can be found here: http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/assets/a11_current_year/capital_programming_guide.pdf.
Papers, Articles, and Apps
The following documents are available on the H&A EVMS Education Center, Workshop Reference Materials web page.
- Christensen and Heise, Cost Performance Index Stability 
- Christensen, The Costs and Benefits of the Earned Value Management Process 
- Christensen and Ferns, Using Earned Value for Performance Measurement on Software Development Projects 
- Christensen, Is the CPI-Based EAC a Lower Bound to the Final Cost of Post A-12 Contracts? 
- Christensen, Is the Cumulative SPI-Based EAC an Upper Bound to the Final Cost of Post A-12 Defense Contracts? 
- Fleming and Koppleman, Sarbanes-Oxley: Does Compliance Require Earned Value Management on Projects? 
For a simple EV calculator that will run on a smart phone or desktop web browser, visit http://www.encore-analytics.com.
Back to Previous Page