- Discussion of workshop approach.
- Review of notebook contents.
Introduction to the Earned Value Concept
- Problems with comparing plan versus actual to ascertain performance.
- Earned Value - An essential parameter.
The Brick Wall
- An illustrative example of Earned Value methods.
Introduction to Earned Value Management Systems (EVMS)
- The essential features of a disciplined Earned Value Management System.
- Objectives and policies of customer-implemented requirements.
- What are the benefits to the Customer?
- Why should the seller implement an Earned Value Management System?
- Who uses Earned Value?
- The evolution of Earned Value Management.
Organization and Work Definition
- WBS defined.
- Purposes of a WBS.
- Developing a WBS for standard and non-standard systems.
- Trade-off assessments on determining the number of levels in the WBS.
- Negotiating the WBS with the customer.
- Purpose and importance of defining WBS elements.
Work Breakdown Structure (EVMS Case Study #1)
- A concise exercise in developing a WBS considering conflicting purposes, alternative orientations and varying levels of detail.
- Matrixing the organization structure with the WBS.
- Essential features of a Control Account.
- Guidance in the identification of Control Account levels and contents.
- Why the Control Account is the driving factor in system cost and how to minimize this cost.
- Integrating management subsystems around the WBS and Control Accounts.
Control Account Definition (EVMS Case Study #2)
- An exercise involving relating the WBS developed previously to the organization structure, taking into consideration the trade-offs between detailed or summary Control Accounts.
Planning, Scheduling and Budgeting
- Planning, Scheduling and Budgeting - A three-stage iterative process.
- Proper design of a scheduling system.
- Integrating cost and schedule.
Schedule Development Process
- Planning vs. Scheduling
- The Nine Step Process
- Development Considerations and Concerns
Project Scope Definition
- WBS Overview
- Introduction to the IMP
- WBS vs. IMP
- Interconnectivity with the IMS
Network Diagramming Fundamentals
- Introduction to Precedence Diagramming Method (PDM)
- Network Components
- Relationships and Logic
- Fundamentals review
Creating Simple Network Diagrams (PS Case Studies #1 and #2)
Critical Path Fundamentals
- Definitions and critical path determination
- Calculating total and free float
- Fundamentals Review
Forward/Backward Pass Calculations (CAM Case Study #1)
Project Modeling Techniques
- Schedule Visibility Tasks
- Positive and Negative Float Implications
- Level of Effort
A More Complex Network (PS Case Study #8)
Resource Loading and Leveling
- Definitions and resource justification
- Resource leveling and smoothing exercise
- Definitions, requirements, and methods.
Performance Measurement Baseline Elements
- Contract Terms.
- Elements of the Performance Measurement Baseline.
- Management philosophies on Management Reserve and Undistributed Budgets.
- Work Authorization.
- Description of Work Measurement classifications.
- Work Packages defined.
- Discrete Work Measurement techniques.
- Milestone Characteristics.
- Rolling Wave - How far in the future must you plan?
- Summary Planning Packages and their use.
Transmission Design Control Account Plan (EVMS Case Study #3)
- A comprehensive, but concise, exercise involving selecting appropriate Earned Value methodologies and calculating the budget and Earned Value for a sample Control Account.
Schedule Health Metrics
- Learn the characteristics of a healthy schedule.
- Describe the types of tasks that are typically excluded from schedule health analysis
- Examine various health checks that can be performed on a schedule.
- Definition and purpose of the schedule baseline.
- Baseline development, maintenance, and revision.
Work Package/Planning Package Planning (EVMS Case Study #17)
- Differentiate between progress and forecast
- Understanding of statusing requirements for each activity type
- Identify the basic types of schedule changes
- Explain how schedule changes affect both the baseline and current schedules
- Identify reasons for baseline changes
- Managing schedule changes
Determining Status and Forecasting (PS Case Study #12)
- Routine updates.
- Schedule changes.
- Duration changes.
- Types of changes.
- Typical causes of schedule change.
Schedule Acceleration Techniques
- Identify the various schedule acceleration techniques
- Understand the potential drawback of each technique
- Participate in a schedule acceleration demonstration
Risk and Opportunity Management
- Identifying Risks and Opportunities
- Handling Program Risks and Opportunities
- Risks and Opportunities Classifications
- The Risk Register
- Integrating Risk
Managing Schedule Risk
- Critical path method (CPM).
- Risk analysis of the project.
- Sources of project risk.
- Process of risk analysis.
- Limitations of the CPM approach to risk.
- Probabilistic approach to schedule risk.
- Monte Carlo approach.
- Implementing risk assessment.
- Why Actual Cost of Work Performed (ACWP) is different from "actual costs".
- Structuring an effective cost control code for accumulating Actual Costs for Work Performed.
- Common problems and solutions to accumulating material costs for performance measurement.
- "Enlightened" customer requirements on material costs.
- How to identify meaningful material variances.
- Identifying cost and schedule variances.
- Methods of portraying variances.
Variance Calculation Exercise (EVMS Case Study #4)
- A simplistic exercise in the calculation of cost and schedule variances.
Earned Value Methods (EVMS Case Study #5)
- An exercise involving the determination of BCWS and BCWP based on selected Earned Value Methods.
- Interpreting cost and schedule variance.
- What constitutes a significant variance?
- Writing useful Variance Analysis Reports.
- Comparing past and future efficiency factors.
Variance Analysis Report Critique (EVMS Case Study #6)
A comparison and evaluation of alternative Variance Analysis Reports.
Estimates, Indices and Forecasts
- Developing Estimates at Completion (EAC)
- Utilization of Performance Indices
Performance Efficiency Factors and Estimate at Completion (EVMS Case Study #7)
A simplistic exercise requiring the calculation of past and future efficiency factors and an Estimate at Completion forecast.
Highway Case Study (EVMS Case Study #8) Scheduling and Cost
- A reinforcement of variance calculation, performance indices, and EAC analysis.
Analysis Using EVMS Calculations and the Schedule
- Performance Measurement data concern.
- Analysis combining SPI and Total Float.
- Analysis combining SPI and CPI.
- The problems with getting ahead.
Schedule Analysis Combining SPI, CPI, and Critical Path (PS Case Study #16)
Diagnosis and Analysis
- Using CPM to investigate alternatives.
Revisions and Baseline Maintenance
Contract Budget Base (CBB) Log Preparation (EVMS Case Study #9)
- A concise exercise on how changes affect the budget and how to document them.
Generally Accepted Scheduling Principles (GASP)
- The 8 principles that lead to a valid and effective schedule
IPMR DID Scheduling Requirements
- Understand the requirements imposed in the various sections of the IPMR DID
Integrated Baseline Review
- What to expect during the IBR Process.
The Use of Performance Measurement Data
- Definition of key data elements.
- Review of course to date.
Earned Value Reporting
- What types of financial reports are required and what is their purpose?
- How to prepare and interpret the various reports.
- Reconciling funds reports with performance reports - An accuracy check.
- Differences in reporting requirements.
Schedule Reporting and Analysis
- Advantages and disadvantages of common reports.
- Using trend reports to identify potential issues.
Top Management Use of Earned Value Data
- Graphical presentations.
Course Evaluation Sheet and Discussion